Saturday, May 30, 2009
The Bruise Wins 2009 Lambda Award!
I am happy to report that my novel The Bruise won a Lambda Award in the Lesbian Debut Fiction category. I unfortunately was unable to attend. I am teaching creative writing in Berlin for six weeks, but my sexy representative was in the third row with butterflies in her stomach. She diligently rehearsed a few lines and delivered them so well that Kate Clinton complimented her as she returned to her seat. I have to say, I really wanted to win. I know, that's not cool to say, but it was nice to be legible in a reading community outside of the "innovative fiction" world. Here's a list of the other finalists in my category:
LESBIAN DEBUT FICTION
* The Bruise, Magdalena Zurawski, Fiction Collective Two/University of Alabama Press -- Winner!
* Red Audrey & the Roping, Jill Malone, Bywater Books
* Passing for Black, Linda Villarosa, Kensington
* Closer to Fine, Meri Weiss, Kensington
* Love Does Not Make Me Gentle or Kind, Chavisa Woods, Fly by Night Press