Sunday, December 07, 2008

Winter Break Reading List + 1 Question

OK. So now that I am close to done, I am about ready to declare what I will read over break that has nothing to do with SCHOOL!! I decided that I would read books by friends and almost-friends over break. I hate having not read my friends' books because of school. School. Sometimes it stops you from reading.

1) Aaron Kunin -- The Mandarin
2) Michelle Koerner -- First dissertation chapter in manuscript form on Deleuze and American Lit (roughly speaking)
3) Fred Moten -- Hughson’s Tavern
4) Lucy Corin -- Everyday Psychokillers: A History for Girls, A Novel
5) Ali Liebegott -- The Beautifully Worthless

Alright, if I get through that by January 8th and write my Melville paper, I will be psyched.

Real Question: So, how do I get free new books? I have to spend all my money on school books and thus feel like I can't keep up with all the new poetry and fiction I want. I know a bunch of you are poor like me, and yet I see on GoodReads etc, you all get your hands on the new stuff. Tell me, please.

4 comments:

-kaplan said...

I have a similar list for the winter break. Except I must push the winter break reading back to spring break and probably summer break too because obligations that already got in the way of fall break are now taking over winter break.

Kunin's book is awesome. I stole a few sentences from the preface for a recent academic talk where I was partly making fun of myself.

stacey l. kirby said...

My suggestions:
1. Apply for a grant to support the expansion of your 'library' in order to support your work (also include in your budget a salary for your hot librarian and a rolling ladder). I wouldn't mention the fact that you are in school.

2. Post a list of books on your blog that you'd like to read over Christmas break for all of your loved ones, friends and stalkers to read. Then write about you own poverty and politely ask for advice about buying new books. Maybe these books will show up miraculously on your doorstep? (Hopefully not from your stalkers since that would mean they know where you live.)

But what do I know? I'm just a poor artist that is forced to use libraries and museums - instead of purchasing the newest Louise Bourgeois piece. (wink wink....I do realize my visual art dilemma is a tad different.)

Logan Ryan Smith said...

trades and begging.

K. Lorraine Graham said...

Trades. Or write reviews? Aaron's book is an especially great read...